What is microblading?
Microblading, also known as Eyebrow Embroidery, Eyebrow Feather Stoke Brows, Microstroking, 3D brows, Micropigmentation, etc. is a procedure categorized under permanent makeup, but unlike traditional cosmetic tattooing, it is less invasive and is considered semi-permanent.
The procedure is done by manually implanting colour pigment beneath the surface of the skin, into the epidermis with a sterile, disposable, ultra-fine needle and a hand tool to form the illusion of a hair stroke. The hair strokes are placed one by one and built up over the course of the procedure with the finished result being the appearance of perfectly groomed natural eyebrows.
Is microblading the right procedure for me?
Microblading is for those who want to effortlessly look their best anytime – it is a perfect solution for those wanting to enhance their natural brows, have little to no eyebrows, asymmetrical brows, thinning brows or over tweezed brows and who are wanting beautifully natural and realistic results.
How long does it take?
For the first microblading session, the entire procedure should take about 2.5-3 hours.
- 30 minutes for topical aesthetic to take effect.
- 30-60 minutes for your consultation which includes face mapping, brow shaping and colour matching your pigment – all of which will be agreed upon between the client and technician before any microblading takes place.
- 60-90 minutes for the procedure depending on the level of work required.
You are required to return for a follow up visit (top up) this session takes place 6-8 weeks after the initial procedure. This session is shorter as the consultation is not required and will take approximately 1.5-2 hours to complete.
Why do I need a top up? And is it necessary?
A touch up session after 6-8 weeks is necessary as every individual heals differently and the outcome will vary. Touch up sessions should not be done earlier than 6 weeks after initial microblading session as pigment colour has not fully settled into the skin, and most importantly, this is to prevent scar damage as the tissue requires time to completely heal.
Certain areas may not pick up during first session and will need to be refilled. Pigment colour may need to be adjusted, brow thickness and more strokes can be added. Most importantly, your touch up session is when we refine and finalise your brows to ensure they looks perfect and retain the colour for as long as possible.
Very occasionally a third touch up is required for certain clients where pigment does not take as well to the skin or other lifestyle factors have affected the healing process and results.
How long will it last?
The pigment used in microblading is semi-permanent and can last between 1-3 years. The pigment will begin to fade within 12 months. In order to keep your brows looking fresh, a touch up is recommended every 12 months.
Factors that will cause your eyebrows to fade faster:
- Not following aftercare instructions
- Sun exposure and sunbeds
- Iron deficiency
- Strong immune systems
- Exposure to salt water
Please note that final results can not be guaranteed as each unique skin type will hold pigments differently and break down at different rates. We will re-evaluate how your skin has received the pigment at your touch-up appointment and make any changes necessary.
Does it hurt?
The discomfort is relative as everyone has a different level of sensitivity. An anaesthetic is applied for numbing before and during the procedure. Every effort is made to ensure you remain comfortable for the duration of the procedure. Our clients are usually pleased to discover that it is no more painful than tweezing or threading.
- Having this service performed during your menstrual cycle may increase discomfort during your procedure.
- If you are a frequent smoker or have high exposure to sunlight or sunbeds the topical anaesthetics used during the treatment may not last as long and also can lead to poor retention and poor lasting results.
- If you have been diagnosed with Fibromyalgia, be aware that this may affect your sensitivity tolerance to the procedure.
How long is the recovery or healing time?
Immediately after your microblading procedure and in the first 10 days, your brows will appear significantly darker and defined than the final result. It will likely get darker over the next few days as scabs begin to form, however, 30-50% of your brow colour will fade as the scabs fall off within 7-10 days. In some cases, the scabs may take longer to heal and fall off. DO NOT PICK YOUR SCABS. The pigment is within the scab and you do not want to pull any pigment out of your skin prematurely.
Microblading is a two-step process, naturally you will lose 20-50% of the strokes we place during your first healing process, please do not panic, this is normal and the body’s way of fighting a foreign substance (the pigment), this will all be replaced at your top up. We all heal differently but the complete healing process takes approximately 6 weeks.
What are the pre and post care procedures?
In order to achieve the best results, it is best to follow the pre and post care instructions.
Prior to your procedure:
- You MUST complete a patch test which requires a 48 hour monitoring window.
- Do not use alcohol, aspirin/ibuprofen and any vitamins that may thin your blood for 72 hours.
- Avoid tanning so we can assess your natural skin tone, it is recommended that you do not use sunbeds for 30 days prior to and after treatment as this burnt skin will exfoliate taking the pigment with it, affecting the final result.
- No face scrubs or chemical peels at least two weeks prior.
- No Botox 4 weeks prior to treatment and 4 weeks after your top up as your new eyebrows will be taken into account when deciding where to place product.
- If you are planning a holiday, it is recommended to plan your trip a minimum of 30 days after the procedure.
- Be aware of the aftercare procedure so you know what to expect.
After your procedure:
- Make sure to apply a light layer of healing balm morning and night to brows for at least 5-7 days.
- Do not over apply healing balm.
- Do not immerse brow area in water for 14 days. When showering, make sure to avoid face area. When cleaning or washing face, make sure to avoid brows and clean around it and do not use soap, cleansing creams or chemical products.
- Do not put makeup on the brow area for a minimum of 10 days. Microbladed area is an open wound, using makeup may cause infections.
- Avoid alcohol and aspirin/ibuprofen and any vitamins that may thin your blood for 24 hours.
- Do not go swimming, tanning or into saunas for at least 14 days.
- No face scrubs or chemical peels at least 2 weeks after.
- Avoid heavy exercise for 14 days to avoid excessive sweat and oils until the skin has completely healed.
- Do not try to remove any of the healing skin yourself, it will itch but it will fall off naturally, if you remove it you will take the pigment with it affecting the final result.
- Attend your top up!
Who is not suitable for the procedure?
- Have heart conditions or using heart medications
- Have diabetes (will require a doctor’s note)
- Have had Botox in the last 4 weeks.
- Have gotten a deep tan or chemical peels in the last 2 weeks
- Allergic to lidocaine, prilocaine, benzocaine, tetracaine or epinephrine
- Anyone who has any serious medical conditions may require a physician’s note.
- As a precaution we do not microblade on pregnant or nursing clients.
- If you have glaucoma,
- skin diseases such as Shingles, psoriasis or eczema on the area of treatment,
- If you have allergies to makeup and ink.
- Keloid disorder
- Skin cancer
- Haemophilia, or if you’re taking skin medications like Accutane and steroids.
- Ongoing chemotherapy, epilepsy, pacemaker or major heart problems, organ transplant.
- Any treatment, medication, or illness that compromises the immune system and healing
We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone who we deem not suitable for this procedure or for any other reason. Our brow technicians make the decision to microblade an individual based on their own discretion.
How old do I have to be to get microbladed?
You must be 18 years or older to receive microblading. You will be asked to provide proof of age if we deem it necessary so please bring it with you to avoid losing your appointment.
How much does it cost?
Please see our price list for all procedure costs.
How can I make payment?
We accept all major credit and debit cards, cash, bank transfer and personal cheque (this will need to have cleared in our bank before any procedure can go ahead).
What is your cancellation policy?
You can cancel or reschedule your appointment up to 24 hours before your procedure and receive a full refund including your £50 booking deposit. Any cancellations made after this time or non-attendants will forfeit their deposit.
How can I make an appointment?
You can book via our website by clicking here alternatively you can contact us via any of our social media pages or by telephone on 07515686675.
Anything else to ask?
We will be happy to help! Please feel free to call us on 07515686675.